Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) electronics continue to evolve as mission profiles become more complex and demanding on power systems. New and innovative power supply systems are required to ensure reliability, reduce weight, and improve efficiency. In addition, ePropelled’s Power Management Unit sets a new bar in PMU management through its software interface where it communicates various status and alerts.
ePropelled’s Power Management Unit provides complete power solutions for UAV applications. Our Starter Generators produce 3-phase sinusoidal AC voltages that vary with RPM and load. These are converted to DC voltage outputs by our Power Management Unit (PMU), which uses active rectification and switching regulation to supply the DC voltages from the variable input.
There is an optional Electronic Engine Starter (EES) function on our starter generator to start the engine. Once the engine up to speed, the Power Management Unit delivers regulated voltages. If for any reason the starter generator stops working, a backup battery (optional) automatically comes online and provides the regulated voltages for a fixed duration depending on backup battery size. Units are lightweight, have forced air cooling and are highly efficient to minimize fuel consumption.
Analytic data is rapidly becoming critical to the operation of any system. The Power Management Unit has a Controller Area Network (CAN) and an RS-485 interface to the onboard avionics. ePropelled Power Management Units monitor and log every input and output, voltage and current level. Users can also set the warning levels for each output voltage and current levels. If the system ever reaches warning levels, it will send alerts to the controller. ePropelled customers can develop an application using our open API or use an ePropelled application.
The 3-Phase input can be either an AC or a DC source, and the output can have one primary voltage and up to three secondary voltage. The wide DC output voltage is flexible and can be configured at the factory.
POWER MANAGEMENT UNIT MAIN FEATURES
- One primary and up to three secondary outputs
- High efficiencies of up to 94%, load dependent
- Over-Current limiting through voltage fold back.
- Protection and recovery of DC voltage on transient extreme loads
- Built in Electronic Engine Starter (EES)
- CAN interface for communication with external controllers
- Charges backup battery
- Automatic switchover from 3-Phase to backup battery on IC failure
- Visual indication status of all DC outputs provided through LEDs
- Status of system functions via ePropelled’s API CAN interface
- Alerts as various outputs limits e.g. voltages, currents, temperature, backup battery switchover, etc.
- Configure various EES parameters for different IC engines
ePropelled’s family of products provides complete power solutions for UAV applications. Our Starter Generators produces 3-phase sinusoidal AC voltages that vary with RPM and load. These are converted to DC voltage output by one of our Power Management Unit (PMU) which uses active rectification and switching regulation to supply up to four DC voltages from the variable input.
Ready to find out more?
Download the PMU500 Data Sheet