The Role: This is an excellent opportunity for a power electronics & machine control development engineer to join a rapidly expanding vibrant company and work on projects at the forefront of technology. These are exciting times as we look forward to the next generation systems primarily in automotive and aerospace sectors. Further, there will be plenty of scope for growth within the role as the company looks to
expand. This is an exceptional opportunity for a talented engineer to turn their ideas into reality, from concept stage to commercial products.
- Report to Chief Technology Officer/Technical Director (CTO/TD).
- Generate conceptual designs based on technical specifications for inverter and rectifier designs (including physical layouts), circuit simulations and optimisation.
- Convert conceptual designs to working prototypes.
- Use of CAD systems such as PADS or Altium to design multilayer pcbs keeping EMC and EMI in mind.
- Support new product introduction and identify the full lifecycle of product design.
- You will see projects starting from specifications sheets leading to delivery of manufactured products to our customers.
- Assist in building and testing of prototype power electronics & control systems to verify simulations.
- Participate in the creation of functional specifications and test procedures.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in product functionality and manufacture.
- Review, update, alter or redesign existing products as defined/specified by the CTO/TD.
- Work closely with current and future collaborative partners.
- Manage multi-disciplined, complex, technical projects.
- Supervise and support junior engineers.
- Degree or equivalent in in Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
- A minimum of 4 years experience in designing electric motor drives and control.
- Able to design high power motor controllers, power regulators, AC-DC High efficiency power converter solutions, DC-DC converters, SMPS, battery management and synchronous rectifiers.
- Mathematical modelling and simulation experience using software such as PSPICE and MATLAB/SIMULINK. Experience is also required in using thermal simulation software such as SimScale.
- Analogue/Digital electronics design experience.
- Knowledge of EMC/EMI and mitigation through design and awareness of embedded systems and control engineering. Knowledge of high voltage switching noise principal and analysis.
- Organised, methodical approach with good problem solving skills.
- Safe working practice when working with voltages as high as 1000V ac/dc and very high power levels.
- Strong communication and teamwork abilities. Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to work alone, but also be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Command of good written and oral English.
- MSc or PhD in Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
- 6+ years design experience of inverters and rectifiers using IGBTs/ MOSFET and at least knowledge of emerging technologies e.g. GaN E-HEMTs.
- Experience of product development for use in automotive, aerospace or marine environments.
- Experience with motor drives, power factor correction, and grid-tied inverters and understanding of motor control techniques, Field-Oriented Control, DTC, SVM, etc.
- PCB design, layout and manufacture experience.Design of mains and battery powered systems to meet global product requirements.
- Understanding of functional safety analysis, design, and validation to standards such as ISO26262, IEC61508, D0178B or similar including EMC/EMI testing to relevant standards.
- Electronics design for harsh environments (noise, vibration, extreme temperature levels, etc.).
- Qualification and environmental testing of systems.
- Embedded software writing for microcontrollers such as ST, ATMEL and TI for the relevant circuitry.
- Familiarity with industrial communications such as RS232, RS485, CAN bus, ModBus, USB, Bluetooth,GPRS, Ethernet and I2C.
- Experienced in the preparation of technical documentation, system functional descriptions, electrical schematics, component BOMs and test reports.
Benefits and Rewards:
- 21 Days Holiday plus Statutory Holidays.
- Stock Option may be a possibility (DoE).
We can only accept applications from engineering candidates who have a valid legal permit or right to work in the United Kingdom.