Electric Vehicles (EVs) are the fastest growing car segment with sales of more than one million personal Electric Vehicles in 2017. However, the industry has relied on government subsidies to make these vehicles price competitive with internal combustion engines. Consumers demand better performance, range, and infrastructure to make driving and owning Electric Vehicles practical. The high cost of battery packs (up to 50% of the vehicles cost) is limiting their progress. One option will be to wait for battery packs costs to drop, but that could take years.
What if there was a solution that improved motor efficiency by 25% and could be implemented now?
ePropelled has developed a magnetic propulsion motor coupled with our software controller that can achieve a 25% improvement in efficiency. This means that we can change the performance characteristics of the motor to extend the speed and torque range. Electric Vehicle manufacturers can use this improvement to extend range, reduce battery cost or implement a combination of the two all while delivering the performance the consumer really wants.
Compared with other motors, ePropelled’s motor has the following key benefits for electric vehicles:
- High torque without drawing high current from batteries
- Increased drive range or reduction in battery size
- High acceleration achieved (for speeds 0 to 100 kmh and beyond)
- Lower current rating leading to reduced electronics costs and greater reliability of components
- Eliminates mechanical gear box from the transmission, reducing weight