Electric Vehicles (EVs) are the fastest growing car segment with sales of more than one million personal EVs in 2017. However, the industry has relied on government subsidies to make these vehicles price competitive with internal combustion engines. Consumers demand both the performance and range that makes EVs practical. This requires large battery packs which account for as much as 50% of the cost of an EV. EV manufacturers need a way to drive cost down while meeting the consumers’ goals for range. One option will be to wait for battery packs costs to drop as forecast, but that will take years.
What if there was a solution that improved motor efficiency by 25% and could be implemented now?
ePropelled has developed a novel design magnetic characteristics of our propulsion motor/generator coupled with our software-based MagGearingTM controller. This patented technology means that we can change the performance characteristics of the motor/generator to extend the speed/torque range of a motor and achieve a 25% improvement in efficiency. The EV manufacturers can use this improvement to extend range, reduce battery cost or a combination of both. All while delivering the performance the consumer wants.
Compared with a normal permanent magnet brushless motor, ePropelled’s EMG motor has the following key benefits for electric cars:
- High torque without drawing high current from batteries
- Increased drive range or reduction in battery size is achieved
- High acceleration achieved ( for speeds 0 to 100 kmh and beyond)
- Lower current rating leading to reduced electronics costs and greater reliability of components
- The elimination of a mechanical gear box from the car transmission, saving weight